Thursday, January 20, 2011

On gay marriage

To me, gay marriage is a non-issue.  It is such a trivial issue, people should just stop caring about it altogether, but since we have certain people (read: theists) in our society who make it a bigger deal than it is, I thought I would share my opinion of it.

The argument that gay marriage destroys the sanctity of marriage is laughable.  Since when was marriage ever sacred?  I’m sure most married people would agree with me.
Marriage is just one of those things we do because we feel like we have to.  People don’t do it because they really want to … I’m exaggerating, but I think you know what I mean.  It’s just one of those things we do in life.

Go to school.  Get a job.  Get married.  Start a family.  Grow old.  Die.
That’s life for most people.

And I don’t mean to befoul marriage, because I think it does help keep society orderly.  And I am a STRONG proponent of family values.  I think without strong family values society would crumble.  Europe is heading toward oblivion because of the lack of family values and because of their low fertility rate.
I also think children who are raised by two responsible parents will almost always fare better than children who are raised by one parent or two irresponsible parents.  There are probably some statistics out there showing a positive correlation between delinquency and bad parenting, but I’m too lazy to look it up.  Just take my word for it, okay?

Back to the issue at hand.

Gay marriage is harmless.  If gay people are allowed to get married, big whoop.  It doesn’t make everyone else’s marriages less meaningful or worse in any way.  It doesn’t make them less sacred.  It doesn’t effect them.  at all.
I just want to know why gays want to get married.  I know there are legitimate reasons, like adoption and what not, but seriously, marriage sucks.  Why would you want to do something that sucks?
Homosexual men are stereotyped to be sexually promiscuous and this stereotype exists for a reason.  Why would a group of people who have many sexual partners even consider marriage?  Makes no sense to me, but whatever, like I said earlier, I couldn’t care less.

One of the arguments used against gay marriage is the slippery slope argument ie if gays can get married then what’s next, humans and animals getting married?  a person and a corpse getting married?  where does it end??
This argument is a logical fallacy and no one should take it seriously.
I should also point out that I couldn’t care less about a person getting married to an animal or a corpse or an animal corpse even.

Conclusion:

1.  Gay marriage doesn’t matter.
2.  Gay marriage effects no one, except for gays who get married.
3.  Marriage sucks.

Let me know what you think.  Debate is encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. agreed. If two men or women want to be miserable together, why not?

    ReplyDelete